Sunday, January 15, 2012

Don't hate me because I want dreadlocks

I'm white. I live in the suburbs. I'm a homeschooling mom. I want dreadlocks. I am not a Rastafarian. I am not a pot head. I am not the creative artsy type but I still want dreadlocks. You wanna make something of it?

Seriously, though, they represent a free & easy lifestyle; a simplicity that I long for. I've appreciated dreads for ages and 5 years ago I started researching the process, dreaming about having them myself. I was pregnant at the time and the dream easily came & went as I focused on other more imminent needs but it has lingered in the back of my mind. Now may be the time.

I'm not a stranger to new hairstyles & my long straight locks have often been chopped to ultra short proportions & been colored random shades of brown, red & white. (I'm not much of a blonde fan but I enjoyed the bleached look for a short stint). Recently I've had the urge to buzz the hair again but then the thought occurred to me, now's my chance to dread this mess! I can try it out for a few months, see how it goes & get rid of it all if it doesn't suit me, right?

Not everyone appreciates the look of dreadlocks like I do, I'm well aware, but age brings this beautiful attitude of not caring. Thankfully my friends & family & church community & people in my neighborhood know me well enough to understand. I'm pretty sure most of them think I'm "out there" most of the time anyway. Ha! Homebirth? Homeschool? Cloth what?

So in the weeks & months to come, if you run into me with a bandana on my head & dreads hanging wild & free, I meant to do it. It wasn't a result of not washing my hair but rather a conscious choice to change things up.

Should be an interesting adventure.

13 comments:

  1. ".....but age brings this beautiful attitude of not caring."

    Love this!! I feel the same way.....I took me a bit longer to get there, but I'm HERE now!!

    Have fun with your adventure.....life is short...DO IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO FOR IT!!!! I have always wanted to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen. Age really does bring a confidence that feels refreshing, doesn't it? I haven't always been so sure of myself & my ideas, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Joel, I can absolutely see you with some short, funky dreads. You should join me.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic! Life is too short to have boring hair, that's what I always say.

    Though you may not want to take hair advice from a girl with pink, purple and blue hair...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felicia, you've definitely taken color to a level I never have.....in a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dreaded my hair one year after leaving Oak Park. It was liberating and inspiring and empowering for me on many levels. It also brought me in touch with my vanity. My creativity and my hair became very intertwined and I found myself invovled with my hair in a way I had never been. My identity became more fused with the style of hair I had chosen in ways I hadn't expected. The decisions to de-dread (I've now had and removed two sets of dreads) left me feeling like I was living in someone's else body for a few weeks. At this point it seems unlikely I will grow my hair long enough to ever re-dread again, but every day it seems I miss them in some way. Good luck on this journey. I hope they come to mean many wonderful things for you. If you ever want some practical hair care advice for them, let me know! (Dahna, Kermit's old neighbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dahna, thanks so much for your words. It will be interesting to see how this whole process unfolds, how my lifestyle intertwines with my new hairstyle, etc. I like the thought, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. trying one more time to comment....each time i get more excited about you and your dreads. please, please do it.

    oh good, it worked! okay, in previous comment attempts i said things like you were born for dreads, and they will look perfect on you, and...you and dreads are like scoby and sugar. oh please take me with you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, love ya, girl! Your comment made me laugh out loud...."scoby & sugar." Ha! Come on along, my friend. It'll be a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think white women need to apologize ever for wearing dreads, no matter what people say...dreads have been around since Egyptian times and were worn also by Celts and Vikings. It's just hair. Wear it the way you like. I'm getting synthetic, because my hair is shorter AND i'm transitioning to my natural half-grey hair. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm 59 and you should see the looks I get. I'm enjoying them, that's what matters

    ReplyDelete