Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Bird Feeder

A few weeks ago I came across a blog with this fun-looking Pumpkin Bird Feeder project (taken from Martha Stewart which makes me laugh because I've been doing quite a few of her creations lately).

Because we had the luxury of a lazy Saturday morning (aside from the 8am soccer game), I decided to gather the children & try it out. Our oldest daughter was at a sleepover but the younger two were eager to get the pumpkin play on the way!

Here's the pumpkin I've had sitting around, anxiously awaiting 
this very project. She's pretty, no?


After admiring her beauty, I grabbed the butcher knife.


Kai & Z then tackled the task of scooping out the pumpkin goo. 
We prepped both halves but we ended up using the half with the stem because, well, it looked cool.



Next, they headed outside to gather sticks to create perches for the little birdies.


While they were foraging for sticks, I sliced a rim around the inside edge of the pumpkin to insert the seeds for decoration. The slippery seeds made this tricky! I even rinsed & dried them but they kept popping out, sliding onto the floor & creating quite the frustration in my kitchen. It was fun for about 2 minutes.


Next, I created holes to insert the perch sticks. After trying various kitchen utensils, I settled on a screwdriver which worked perfectly.


I wasn't too keen on the idea of tacking the string onto the pumpkin for hanging, like Martha suggested, so this is what I did instead. I cut 2 equally long pieces of jute, folded them in half & tied a knot that could slip around the stem.


I then asked my trusty assistant to hold the pumpkin while I slipped 
the loop around the stem & tediously adjusted the four strings so the 
feeder would hang evenly. 


Daddio awoke up from his nap just in time to help tie the top knot 
and we excitedly headed outside to fill the feeder and hang it on the 
shepard's hook outside our kitchen window.


And here it hangs, in all its glory........
until the squirrels figure out how to get at it!


*smooch*


No comments:

Post a Comment