Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Look who's crafty now!

I've admitted over & over again that I don't like crafts. I enjoy creating but crafting in the traditional sense is not my forte. No scrapbooking (the kids are lucky they have some semblance of a baby book), no knitting (tried & failed & bored myself to tears), and I especially don't like "kiddie crafts" that involve googly eyes, popsicle sticks & glue.

Occasionally I surprise myself, though, by finding a kid-friendly craft that I can tolerate and dare I say enjoy. And it's always a bonus if the end result is pleasing to the eyes! So what did I tackle today? Preserving leaves in beeswax!

I followed the instructions on Martha Stewart Crafts *gasp* and the end result is quite lovely. Here's a quick run down of how it flowed in our abode.....


First, the kids & I took a long walk around the "big block" and gathered our favorite leaves. 
We aimed for a variety of colors, shapes & sizes.



Next, we chose our absolute favorites to preserve as fall decoration. 


The hardest part of the entire project was chopping off a chunk of beeswax. I didn't want to waste my whole pound & ultimately discovered that a hammer & flat head screwdriver works beautifully.



The beeswax was then melted in a double boiler.


The fun part was dipping the individual leaves. Kaiya & Ezra lost interest the moment we came home from our walk but Simone stuck with me through the sorting, chopping & dipping.


We then lay the leaves out on a drying rack, where they still rest. It's not that they're not dry but rather that I don't have the time to finish today. The plan is to hang a piece of jute string on the fireplace mantle & clothespin the leaves to the string. 

Photo, compliments of Simone
Final photo to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment