Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Her mother's daughter

Do you ever look at your kids and see yourself? I don't mean their eye color or shape of their face but a small child seeking identity by modeling you? Their mannerisms? The clothes they choose to wear? How they style their hair? 

This past weekend, my husband took the younger kids out of town for a night and my oldest daughter & I had some special time together. We played SkipBo by the fire, ordered Chinese food & watched a silly movie in bed. (I fell asleep requiring a recap of the last 30 minutes the following morning.)

The next day I needed to run a handful of errands so I decided to make it worth our while, ending the torture with pedicures. My sweet Simone was so excited! This is what she looked like as we headed out the door....


I wasn't sure if I should smile or cry at her grown up appearance and obvious similarities to myself. Long hair tied back, aviator sunglasses, olive green coat carrying her tea in an insulated Kleen Kanteen. I loved it & it disturbed me, at the very same time. It's not that I don't care for my personal style, but I became very aware of my influence on her. She watches me. She hears me. She desires to be like me....and yes, that scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment