Friday, March 4, 2011

Giving in & giving up....

I'm about to alarm you with some shocking news so brace yourself....

I've never given anything up for Lent. Never. So there. 

Apparently I haven't been much into self-sacrifiice but as I get older (yep, the big 4-0 this summer), I'm starting to appreciate the beauty of self-discipline. I've followed numerous cleansing & detoxing programs, fasted, started running and recently became a proud veganista. It feels good to commit to something and be successful! 

So as this season of Lent approaches.....a time of sacrificial contemplation....I'm giving in & giving something up! Since I didn't grow up in a tradition that observes Lent, I don't know if it's appropriate to share what my sacrifice will be be but, well, forgive my ignorance. (I'm pretty sure everyone shares this, though, because I always knew who wasn't eating chocolate or drinking soda.) 

I, Stephanie Wills Eby, am sacrificing a small portion of my time each day. I've decided to follow Jesus into the desert of meditation. For 40 days I will sit in my sacred space and be still. I will pray, cry, laugh, sing and read, if I feel so inclined. And I will most likely fidget. But I will think about what it means to give of myself and be thankful for my redemption.





3 comments:

  1. I like your space. And I would be totally fidgety. I blame motherhood for the fact that I can no longer sit still.

    I need to start thinking about Lent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful space! I am creating a space for everything in my home and getting rid of lots of things myself.
    Funny, I too was thinking that I haven't given anything up for lent in a long, long time.
    I was contemplating what it would be. We will see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl. I'm so glad you created a space but I'm even more happy you're committing to using it! I am proud of you. I may join you. I was not brought up observing lent but I think it's a great idea. I am going to settle into some meditation. I'll see you on the other side. Ahhh - peace and light my friend. Be well.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete