Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spiderwebs, running & politics

After months of dormancy, I followed my urge to run. I laced up my shoes, swiped a spiderweb off the ceiling, sang Ezra a song & opened the door to breathe in the cold February air.

As I wound around to the river, my mind wandered helplessly through the political mess in my heart these days. Homeschooling & war, unions & breastfeeding, smart meters, homebirth, gay marriage & poverty. I simply wanted to greet the geese & soak up the sunshine but my neurotransmitters were firing fast & furious. All these seemingly unrelated issues were wreaking havoc on my existence! Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but they were definitely wreaking havoc on my run.

Breathe.

My unconditioned lungs now needed a rest so I slowed my pace, loosened my shoulders and nodded hello to a sweet couple passing by. And then I remembered the spiderweb. It reminded me of the crazy pathways my brain just visited and the intermingling of life & politics & ideals & distractions. How lovely.

Suddenly I wished I hadn't swiped that spiderweb away.


No comments:

Post a Comment