Thursday, February 24, 2011

The P-Word

Each morning I wake up to email updates & Facebook posts about homebirth legislation, smart meters and homeschool regulations. I've written letters, read statistics, called representatives, spoken at a city council meeting & engaged in numerous conversations about these issues. But somehow, at the end of the day, I still feel empty....and I'm quite sure I know why.

Even though I hold these issues very dear to my heart, they're not where I want my energies to flow. Not that these issues aren't worthy! I'm so very thankful for the countless women and men giving of themselves to legalize Certified Professional Midwives in Illinois, secure our freedoms to educate at home & protect public health & privacy. We all have our convictions, right?

A very big conviction of mine is something I don't even engage in. The P-word.....Poverty. I read about it, cry at stories in the media, worry about the excess in my own life, wonder if we're giving enough money to church & charity and dream about living in a "new monastic" community yet I continue to sit here in my comfortable suburban home, carting my kids to soccer & classes & friends' houses, planning vacations & going to church on Sunday. It just doesn't add up.

So where do I go from here? Hmmmm. Good question. And I pray.

2 comments:

  1. Ok - so I was basically skimming this entry through the first two paragraphs. Interesting and important stuff, but not stuff that I feel compelled to follow too closely.

    Then I got to paragraph three...

    Just reading that was something like an answer to prayer. It's good to know that there are other people who are as conflicted about poverty as I am.

    Sometimes I can't live with myself. My life looks like yours - the suburban middle class - and as far as one could tell by looking at my day, there is no poverty. I see none of it.

    And then I read books by people like Shane Claiborne and Sara Miles and I weep. I don't know how to reconcile my current life with what I claim is actually important. I feel like a hypocrite.

    So where do you go from here? Maybe after you pray it's time to start a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for affirming my angst! These questions are big but in community, perhaps we can discern some answers.....

    ReplyDelete